Monday, February 20, 2012

Changes

Dear Family and Friends,

This last week was interesting to say the least! Actually, not very many "epic" things happened, but some changes took place, mostly with me.  I am not going to lie, I have been in a little bit of a depression mode lately. I love being a missionary, but it has been rough.  I am a wuss, but it's okay.  So anyway, I'm just plugging away at the work last week, and all of the sudden something changed.  I all of the sudden just felt better, more happy.  I started understanding more of the language and speaking better.  I used to loathe contacting because it was scary, then last week I actually enjoyed it, and it wasn't scary.  A lot of appointments bailed on us last week, but I was still happy. I was right about a lot of things about Ukraine.  It is dark, cold, scary, and a lot of the people are "cold", but I am settling in (finally) and starting to embrace this mysterious country.  I know that this is just the beginning of my mission and I still have a long way to go, but I have been blessed so much and the spirit of the Lord has really helped me thus far.
A few funny highlights from last week:
So we were eating at Brat Alexae's last week (the funniest man I know in Ukraine, he used to be a dancer..interesting, he cooks lunch for the elders every week before district meeting, and sometimes us sisters join in), and he was telling us all about how he knows German. Sister Clark and I were like, yeah we both studied German in high school too.  So brat alexae goes and starts naming all of the utensils on the table and he gets to the fork and he was trying to think of the word, and i was like, "oh i know what that's called, a dinglehopper!!!" and he was like "oh! i forgot!" and just went on naming more things in German. hahahahaha it was beyond funny.  Then he was talking about how women in ukraine have mustaches (sad, but true), and he gets like real close to my face, then sister clark's face and was like, "oh, neither of you have mustaches here, that's good!" hahah it was also very funny. 
We went to one of my favorite babushkas last week, babushka krivyets.  She always says interesting prayers, and this time was also an interesting prayer haha.  We went over there to get her tithing so we could take it to church, and so she was like "girls, i will pray." so she starts and she is holding her tithing in her hands and she starts praying and is like "my favorite Lord, i am glad to pay tithing. the banks are scary here, with piles of collected money and people everywhere. i bet you have banks in heaven for spiritual money and i bet it's a lot better than the banks here on earth." hahaha it was so funny, I had a hard time not laughing during the prayer. 
I also witnessed my first "mail order bride" situation.  An older American guy, a young beautiful, blonde Ukrainian girl sitting on the bus together.  Him not knowing any russian or anything, her doing everything.  These things do happen I guess.
The weather has been a lot warmer and I am loving it.  Check this out-I only had to wear 1 pair of tights instead of 2 or 3!! It was bliss. 
Unfortunately, we might be dropping our investigators Lydia and Igor soon.  It's a hard reality to face as a missionary, but when they stop progressing, you can't do anything about it anymore.  We had a good talk with them last week about how it's all up to them, but who knows.  It's still a blessing to be able to share the gospel with whoever will listen.  I am soooooooooo grateful that i'm a missionary now, instead of a pioneer or the first missionaries here.  There are special people everywhere waiting to hear the gospel.  We are so priveledged to live in a day where we can see the gospel roll forth to every nation, kindred, and tongue.  I love being able to share the good news, the best message that you can share with anyone.  I know that everyone has trials in life, and really hard things that we all have to go through.  The fact that we have the gospel, an eternal perspective, and knowledge of our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, makes everything bearable, if not enjoyable.  I am so grateful that I was born in America too.  I am grateful for the support, prayers, letters, and friendships.  I officially past my 6 month mark, and I am amazed at how much I have been blessed thus far.  I love you all more than you will ever know! This gospel is changing lives over here and we are trying to serve the Lord the best we can. Remember one of my favorite quotes by Elder Holland "some blessings come soon, some come late, and some won't come until heaven, but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come." I love you all!!

Sister DeMille...Сестра Дэмиль haha i had to throw the russian name in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment