Monday, December 10, 2012

family and friends,

I hope you all are enjoying the holiday season! It hasn't quite hit ukraine yet, their holidays are all a little bit later in december and in january, but hopefully soon! This week was another week of missionary work (what else would it be?)  and even though the work is still a little slow, we always see little miracles.  We were able to meet with Ludmilla AND her husband again! They are great.  Her husband loves to call us randomly and make sure we are healthy.  Ironically, my comp and I both kind of got sick last week and we had to call and cancel a lesson with them, and they were both super concerned, but we assured them we would be okay.  When we called to re-schedule a lesson, he told us "It's snowing in Kiev!!" I said "cool, I didn't know!" he was like "didn't know!? how!?" i told him we don't have tv, and he asked "don't you miss the tv!!?" haha it was a funny conversation. maybe it was kind of one of those "you had to be there" kind of things haha.  but we had a great lesson with them about baptism and talked about how it's our way back to God.  Her husband listened and liked it, and also excitedly told us that whenever Luda reads the book of mormon, she reads it out loud and he listens haha!  They both came to church yesterday and stayed the whole time! It was awesome!  Basically they are our main investigators right now and we are doing a lot of finding (as always haha).  

We got to go to Kherson last week overnight for a district meeting, then we went on exchanges with the sisters there.  It was so fun! I got to be with Sis. Kochel and we had a blast and we got to go to Family Home Evening at the Maxwell's house. I got to see some members I haven't seen in awhile and meet a lot of new people. It was really great!  I talked to a great member over there and she was telling me how life is hard a lot and I agreed but told her that it's all okay because we have the gospel.  She thought about that and then agreed and told me everything would be okay too.  I realize all the time how much peace the gospel gives us and how so many people are wandering in darkness.  I'm so thankful we know the Plan of Salvation and how we know if we are righteous, God promises us eternal life.  If we do our part, we know God will do His part. I love it! We are so blessed.  We met a lady the other night that looked a little rough around the edges, but we approached her and told her we have a message about Jesus Christ.  She was smoking and looked at her cigarette and looked sad and said "do you people help others quit smoking?" i told her yes, and she said "i have smoked for 14 years and can't quit. can you please help me?" i again assured her we could, and she gave us her address to come over some time.  Living in a place like Ukraine, I often see the clear effects/consequences of sin, and I am so thankful for the commandments.  God truly gives us the commandments for our benefit, and they free us, not make us more burdened.  I love it and I love seeing people light up with the hope of a message of Jesus Christ.  

On a final note, it's FREEZING. Like literally below zero usually. or at least close to zero.  And it's not that bad when the wind isn't blowing, but the wind almost always blows, and just rips right through my marshmallow jacket and 2 layers of clothes.  But January shouldn't be too bad and then I leave before the ice comes and the winds blow harder haha. so i'm thankful for that!  Our apartment is cold though! we have to double layer up even in our apartment. but it's all good!  We love missionary work and we do it whether it's cold or not haha.  I hope the gospel is warming all of your hearts and houses especially at this time of year.  It's a blessing to be serving and to be in a place that helps me reflect on how wonderful the gospel is and the plan of happiness.  I know this work is the work of the Lord and He loves us!  I love you all! Keep us in your prayers and we are always doing the same! Love you all!

sister demille
so this is a man named vincent. he isn't a member but loves the church and comes to family night and enlish every week in Kherson.  he loved sis johnson and i haha so i saw him and i said "vincent do you remember me?" and he said "of course you are my favorite" haha he is an english teacher so he speaks fluently and is so funny. so i asked "how are you" and he said "i am not down!" haha he gets sick of saying "fine or good" so he thinks of new phrases to respond to that. then i asked him if we could take a pic together and it took some persuasion, but he did it and so the first one he is looking at me because he said "i am not handsome in pictures and i would rather look at you" so then the second one we made him look at the camera, then i showed him the picture and he said "you are pretty and my eyes are blue!" hahahah i love vincent
Sister Kochel and I with their investigator, Bella at FHE

No comments:

Post a Comment